Do you change your own oil and filters?
Dispose of used motor oil and filters for FREE!
- Step 1: Pour your used motor oil into a tightly sealed, unbreakable container.*
- Step 2: Put your used oil filter in a sealed container (like a Ziplock bag).
- Step 3: Take your used oil and filter to one of the Free Drop-off Locations.**
Why does it matter?
- Used motor oil and filters are considered hazardous waste and are illegal to throw in the trash or down the drain - you could be imprisoned or fined up to $10,000!***
- Used oil is a valuable natural resource that can be recycled, cleaned and used over and over again.
- Recycling oil and filters protects our land and water for generations to come.
- BONUS: Certified Used Oil Collection Centers will take used motor oil from the public and pay 40¢ a gallon.****
* Get FREE oil and filter drainer containers, gloves and funnels at an upcoming Riders Recycle event!
** Many communities also offer free curbside collection of used oil and filters. Call your local trash hauler to learn more about availability in your area.
*** Penal Code Section 374.8(b)
**** Find a Certified Used Oil Collection Center near you.