Riders Recycle's goal is to increase used motor oil and filter recycling among motorcycle riders who change their own oil.
Check out the resources below to learn how to dispose of your used motor oil and filters for FREE!
How to dispose of used motor oil and filters:
- Step 1: Pour your used motor oil into a tightly sealed, unbreakable container.
- Step 2: Put your used oil filter in a sealed container (like a Ziplock bag).
- Step 3: Take your used oil and filter to one of the free Drop-off Locations.*
Why does it matter?
- Used motor oil and filters are considered hazardous waste and are illegal to throw in the trash or down the drain - you could be imprisoned or fined up to $10,000!**
- Recycling oil and filters protects our land and water for generations to come and conserves a valuable natural resource that can be used over and over again.
- Certified Used Oil Collection Centers will take used motor oil from the public and will pay you 40¢ a gallon.
*Note: Many communities also offer free curbside collection of used oil and filters. Call your local trash hauler to learn more about availability in your area.
** Penal Code Section 374.8(b)
*** Find a Certified Used Oil Collection Center near you at: http://www.calrecycle.ca.gov/UsedOil/Reports/CenterSearch